Estonian Finance Minister Discusses Budget Deficit

During an appearance on the ETV show “Otse uudistemajast,” Estonian Minister of Finance, Mart Võrklaev of the Reform Party, revealed that last year’s state budget deficit is expected to reach 3 percent of the anticipated GDP. Võrklaev attributed this deficit primarily to lower-than-forecast VAT receipts, a consequence of the cooling down of the economy.

Speaking on Monday, Võrklaev highlighted some surprises in revenue streams, noting that while income tax surpassed expectations, VAT receipts fell short of projections. This discrepancy, according to Võrklaev, underscores the economic slowdown and a decline in consumption within the country.

Addressing concerns about investment implementation, Võrklaev emphasised the importance of expediting investment projects to stimulate economic growth. He expressed disappointment that only 75 percent of planned investments and investment grants were realised last year, with the remaining 25 percent postponed to this year. This delay, he suggested, indicates inefficiencies in fund utilisation at a time when the economy requires stimulation.

Võrklaev stressed the government’s commitment to economic stimulus efforts, citing the three percent budget deficit as evidence of active intervention to bolster the economy. He acknowledged the need to transfer funds from the previous year, anticipating an increase in the amount carried over, possibly reaching hundreds of millions of euros. This unspent allocation from 2022 to 2023, totalling around €900 million, highlights the challenge of optimising resource allocation within the budget.

Recognising the importance of strategic budget planning, Võrklaev outlined agreements reached in the state budget strategy. Specifically, the Ministry of Social Affairs, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications, and the Ministry of Finance are tasked with contributing €150 million to the 2025 state budget, with additional commitments for subsequent years. Võrklaev emphasised the ongoing evaluation of budgetary needs and the necessity of reallocating funds to areas requiring greater financial support.

In efforts to streamline government expenditure, Võrklaev proposed reviewing services and reducing the number of agencies. Initial plans submitted by relevant ministries aim to identify potential savings in operating costs, with significant reductions anticipated through service adjustments.

As Estonia navigates economic challenges and endeavours to revitalise growth, Võrklaev’s remarks underscore the government’s proactive stance in managing fiscal affairs and implementing measures to bolster the economy.

Pan Finance is a print journal and news website providing worldwide intelligence on finance, economics and global commerce. Known for our in-depth analysis and opinion pieces from esteemed academics and celebrated professionals; our readership consists of senior decision makers from across the globe.

Contact us